Some words are so overused in today’s society that they have lost their meaning. Rather than find a better choice of words, people use the same words over and over. They are words that people find quick and easy to use because everyone is using them. However, they’re so trite and overused that they add nothing to what one is expressing.
Here are 10 very overused words. Avoid using them. Get creative and discover some new words to use that better express what you want to say.
- COOL – This word stopped being “cool” in the ‘90s.
- REALLY? – This is asking a question without wanting or needing an answer.
- RIGHT – A person expresses something, pauses, and then says, “Right.” It’s unnecessary and is meaningless.
- AWESOME – Can everything under the sun be “awesome?” Some people think so because they use the word in response to everything.
- LITERALLY – A popular word that is annoying because it is not only overused it is misused.
- ACTUALLY – Perhaps the most futile and overused word on the internet.
- HONESTLY – Used as a filler; has nothing to do with its original meaning.
- AMAZING – A stale word that is used so much it has become vague and empty of meaning
- PERFECT – Whether something is perfect or not, people will say, “Perfect.” It has no meaning. It’s just a filler response.
- EXACTLY – Used so often it no longer means what it says. It’s just a filler.